Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Intellectual Properties Update.

Photo credit: denise carbonell / Foter / CC BY
For anyone who is interested, I still haven't heard back officially from my district regarding my rights to the curricula and lessons I've created for my Creative Writing class. Unofficially, I've been told that, although no one in the district really understands intellectual property law, they don't see why I can't have the rights to what I've created. We currently have a teacher-friendly administration. Plus, it will look good for the administration if one of their teachers publishes a textbook (I have a doctorate in curriculum after all).

Going Forward

I do however know and understand the shifting fates of the education world. Administrations change and social climate changes. So, I'm not trusting to fate for my future work. I have begun to talk to my union about gaining intellectual property rights for all teachers in the district. 

Photo credit: mysza831 / Foter / CC BY
With the two major viewpoints on sites like Teachers-pay-Teachers (which can be seen in the New York Times and other publications: Pro and Con), teachers are going to need to be more proactive to retain their intellectual property. If we continue to allow our hard work (often done on evenings and weekends instead of spending that time with our families) to be considered "work for hire" then we are running the risk of never raising the perception of teachers to anything more than a glorified helper occupation.

Look After Your Rights

Remember. No one is going to look after your rights for you. It's up to you to protect your intellectual property. 

No comments:

Post a Comment